Are you an L & D nurse who wishes you had more tools in your toolbox to help keep patients comfortable during labor?
By attending Comfort Measures for Labor and Delivery Nurses, you will not only get hands-on practice with comfort measures skills, but you'll also learn how you can overcome barriers to providing comfort measures on your unit!
All nurses who register at the Professional level or higher will earn 3.5 nursing contact hours, and those who register as Super Users will receive a Comfort Measures Toolkit to take back to your unit and teach to your peers. Come enjoy an afternoon of demonstrations, discussion, and networking with L & D nurses from all over the greater Memphis area.
This Comfort Measures Workshop is taught by Susan Rook, Evidence Based Birth® Instructor. We designed this workshop specifically for Labor and Delivery nurses who are looking to add to their labor support knowledge and skills. However, local doulas, midwives, and childbirth educators are also encouraged to register!
Contact hours: By attending this workshop and completing an evaluation and quiz, registrants at the Professional or Super User ticket level will earn a certificate for 3.5 nursing contact hours from Evidence Based Birth®, a continuing education provider for the Kentucky Board of Nursing #7-0081. Nursing contact hours can also be applied to most childbirth educator and doula certifications.
Learning Objectives for the Comfort Measures Workshop:
- Discuss the evidence on comfort measures
- Demonstrate a variety of comfort measures
- Discuss how we can overcome barriers to providing comfort measures
- Basic Ticket- audit only (no contact hours)
- Professional Ticket-- certificate for 3.5 nursing contact hours
- Super User Ticket-- certificate for 3.5 nursing contact hours, lanyard and flash drive loaded with the “Comfort Measures Teaching Toolkit” that includes lesson plans and handouts with permission to teach lessons to your peers, 30 day free trial to the Professional Membership at Evidence Based Birth® with access to 24 additional contact hours, and a laminated “Pocket Guide to Comfort Measures”
Additional info about the "Super User" ticket: We are encouraging each local hospital to sponsor at least two nurses to become Comfort Measures Super Users! Your Nurse Super Users will be able to teach their peers how comfort measures can decrease the Cesarean rate, decrease patient pain levels, and increase patient satisfaction. Having at least 2 nurses trained as Super Users will make it easier for them to demonstrate to the other L & D nurses on their unit what they learned at the workshop.
Super Users will receive a Comfort Measures Toolkit on a flash drive, which will be loaded with:
- Lesson plans on:
- Sending patients home in early labor
- Hydrotherapy for pain relief during labor
- Positive language that decreases patient pain perception
- Upright positions during labor for improving birth outcomes
- Full-length printer-friendly PDFs with the Evidence on Fetal Monitoring, Birthing Positions, Eating and Drinking during Labor, and Protecting the Perineum
- One-page handouts to share with patients covering: Birthing Affirmations, Birthing Positions, Comfort Measures in Early Labor, Eating and Drinking during Labor, Fetal Monitoring, and Nitrous Oxide
Refund policy: Tickets are non-refundable, but may be transferred to future workshops or seminars in the case of an unforeseen professional commitment (birth of a client), illness, or family emergency. The ticket holder must contact Susan to reschedule.